We have fallen in love with Jennifer Lawrence not only because of her talent as an actress, but also for her candid personality.  From unapologetically photobombing fellow celebrities at the Golden Globes and recovering from her Oscar wipeout with grace to having a provocative but completely honest anecdote for any situation, Lawrence embodies the best friend everyone wants to have.

11.30.TW

Joy in theaters December 25th

At the mere age of 25, Jennifer Lawrence is an Academy Award-winning actress, has two successful movie franchises under her belt and is Hollywood’s top paid actress.  Despite these accolades, Lawrence faces what many women today experience in the workplace - she earns several thousand less than her male counterparts.

Following the Sony leak last October, Lawrence wrote an article for Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner’s straight-shooting newsletter Lenny about the wage gap between men and women across all industries.  With her usual self-deprecating tone and sarcastic sense of humor, she spoke out about the injustices women face in the workplace.

‘When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with d*cks, I didn't get mad at Sony.  I got mad at myself.  I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early.’  She went on to say how she had feared being thought of as spoiled or difficult if she asked for what she wanted.

She has since resolved to overcome this fear.  Not only is she demanding to be paid fair compensation, but she continues to inspire other women by taking roles like Katniss Everdeen, the heroine in the dystopian world of The Hunger Games and Tiffany, the brutally honest ‘crazy’person in Silver Linings Playbook; roles that portray more than the stereotypical female archetype.

Grey.Line.7

Lawrence faces what many women experience - she earns less than her male counterparts.

Grey.Line.7

In her starring role in the upcoming film Joy, Lawrence continues to pave the way for increasingly powerful female roles.  Director David O. Russel, who also directed Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, has teamed up with the starlet again.  ‘It’s the first story I’ve done that has a woman at the center of it.  Jennifer’s usually coming in from the side, like a rogue.  [Laughs.]  She kind of sneaks in and takes over half the movie.  But here, she’s in the middle, not with a bow and arrow, but with her heart and soul.  That’s a new one for both of us, because I think her renegade nature thrives on the other mode of attack,’ said Russel in an interview with The New York Times.

Joy’s storyline follows a ‘family across four generations centered on the girl who becomes the woman who founds a business dynasty and becomes a matriarch in her own right.  Betrayal, treachery, the loss of innocence and the scars of love, pave the road in this intense emotional and human comedy about becoming a true boss of family and enterprise facing a world of unforgiving commerce.’  Based on Lawrence’s own background and career, she is perfectly suited to play such a powerful lead role.

The film’s trailers continue to build anticipation by demonstrating Lawrence’s depth and breadth of talent.  Her honest portrayal of art imitating life will capture the hearts of her audience when released in theaters on December 25th. 

Gabriella Bower is a student at New York University. Her two passions have always been fashion and philanthropy and she works to incorporate both aspects into her life as often as she can. Read more of Gabriella’s work ranging from current trends to short essays and social justice oriented posts on her blog Read Between the Hemlines.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location