The 58th Annual Grammy Awards are fast approaching, and anticipation of this star-studded event is building, especially for the nominees.  This year's event is slated to take place on February 15, 2016.  While there may be many nominees, I’d like to highlight the talented musicians who utilize their public platform to empower and improve the lives of others.

1.13.TW

View the full list of the 58th Annual GRAMMY Award Nominees here!

Taylor Swift, who is nominated twice for her latest album 1989, is one of my favorite artists of all time.  Her music video of ‘Bad Blood,’ which portrays an incredible amount of female empowerment, is a nominee for ‘Best Music Video.’  Ahead of this year’s awards, Taylor Swift has previously received 7 Grammy Awards and 15 nominations.  For this reason alone, T-Swift is well-qualified to be on the list of Fortune Magazine’s Most Powerful Women.

But Taylor Swift is not the only songstress recognized for her empowering messages.  Fellow nominee Lady Gaga is noted for her latest song ‘Til It Happens to You’ (along with her fellow co-writer Diane Warren), which is meant to educate and encourage women’s openness and strength.  Her song entitled ‘Hunting Ground’ also delivers an important message: the important of seeing women as ‘survivors’ who should be loved. 

Kacey Musgraves, one of America’s most successful female country stars, is acclaimed for her Best Country Album, Pageant Material, whose ironic title projects modern feminism. 

As a huge fan of hip-hop music, I'm thrilled that Nicki Minaj’s album The Pinkprint is nominated for a Best Rap Album award. Nicki Minaj proudly uses her voice to advocate female empowerment, especially in the media.

Grey.Line.7

Through their positive contributions and charitable efforts, these women are already winners in my eyes.

Grey.Line.7

With the help of Grammy-winning producer Ian Brennan and his photographer/filmmaker wife, Marilena Delli, the Zomba Prison Project has been nominated for a Grammy.  Their musical contributions and fundraising efforts for the AIDS awareness campaign have won them global recognition and given them a powerful voice.  You can learn more about their inspiring story here.

These Grammy-nominated artists emulate what it means to use music and success to empower others around the world.  They demonstrate that it's possible for anyone to support equality.   Through their positive contributions and charitable efforts, each of these women are already winners in my eyes. 

Mina Jennifer Ruby Han is dedicated to expressing her creativity through art and is studying theater and creative writing at Rutgers - New Brunswick to expand her horizons.  Mina's dream is to work in entertainment, as well as pursue a career in acting.  Learn more about Mina by following her Tumblr here.

Read More

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location